Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wordle Count

I'm clobbering together my last chapter, after which I get into exciting and terrifying intro/conclusion/rewriting- territory. To try to get a slightly different perspective on the whole thing I thought I'd Wordle my thesis. So here it is, a word cloud of a work in progress.




...and, because I am nothing if not thorough (read: a procrastinator), a breakdown by chapter:

Chapter 1


It's a bit of a shame Wordle doesn't distinguish between variations of the same word, but I do like the slightly manic effect of repeating "film(s)" in this one. This chapter is part of the theoretical framework, focusing on auteur theory. And films.


Chapter 2
Chapter 2 is also theoretical, with a focus on (Finnish) national identity narratives. Could you guess?

Chapter 3


Wordle may not be a scientific tool or anything, but it does suggest my chapter on Drifting Clouds lacks focus. I think Wordle may be in cahoots with my supervisor.

Chapter 4
What you probably can't tell is that there are three words listed in that 'g' in the big 'nostalgia'. They are 'poor', 'kind' and 'able'. Accidental poetry.

Chapter 5

This chapter is a swift kick in the butt away from being ready to send off for comments. It's about city, space and... oh yes, film.

What does your thesis cloud look like?

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I saw your blog listed on the Thesis Whisperer, and came to have a look. I like the idea of wordle-ing your thesis. I think it does give a lot of perspective. I'm no where near as close to finishing as you are - but considering my current lack of understanding of how mine while be a coherent whole - I might just try this with what I've got so far!

    Hope it all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is one i did of the paper i'm writing: http://lozzz123.blogspot.com/p/phd.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, and thanks for participating! I'm still working on the coherence-aspect of mine...

    ReplyDelete