Monday, August 30, 2010

Onwards and upwards

Over the past couple of days I've been toying with the idea of applying for a job. I won't go in to the details of said job, but it exactly the sort of project-based research/writing position I think I'd be excellent at, and it looks as though the hours could be fairly flexible, so it would suit me fantabuloriffically. Of course, there are the complicating factors of Thesis and Baby.



Now, Baby is edging towards toddlerdom, and we're looking at increasing his day care days next year anyway. He is still very little, and we wouldn't want to have him being looked after outside of home any more than two or maybe three days a week. But if I have an actual job with real income, it means we can be a little bit more flexible with who stays home and when and that sort of thing. And, of course, an additional income would always be welcome. 

Thesis is also, maybe, sort of, edging towards toddlerdom. It can't stand on its own two feet yet, but it knows that that's what it needs to do. I still need to write three chapters, two of which have drafts of some sort in existence. Still a lot of work to do, though, and not much time to do it in. Spending (most of) my baby-free days working on things other that thesis would of course have its consequences.

Even so, I am cautiously optimistic that in that hypothetical world where I have My New Job the thesis will still get done. See, my theory is that once I start working outside academia I can also shed some of my anxieties and prejudices about my own writing, stop worrying about whether I really should be incorporating everything from Appadurai to Zizek to prove myself - and just write the damn thing already.

2 comments:

  1. That was my theory about having a baby. "When I have a baby I'll be too busy to worry and procrastinate, I'll have to really just use my (spare) time effectively and write my thesis." Hem. But then my thesis is barely out of the womb, whereas yours, as you said, has started cruising round the furniture, so I'm sure yours is a better plan!

    ReplyDelete